What’s next do you think? Santa is for life, not just for Christmas?
Seriously, I didn’t know we loved Santa in the first place? Isn’t he just the guy that allegedly gives us stuff at Christmas?
The fascinating thing about the ad is that it is encouraging you to visit Santa at a particular shopping centre where you may have to pay for the privilege. If you have to pay, then you could argue that the ad should really say ‘love giving us your money even more’.
Why would or should we love Santa?
1. He only turns up once a year which shows a real lack of interest in us.
2. He only gives us stuff if we are really good. If your naughty then apparently you won’t get anything.
3. He says that you won’t get presents if you are naughty but then he gives you them anyway meaning he isn’t exactly trustworthy.
4. Santa doesn’t always deliver. We have all asked for things for Christmas that we didn’t get at one point or another and this is pretty poor if Santa magically produces presents.
5. Although he is inspired by the 4th century bishop Saint Nicholas, Santa is a myth.
My daughter saw the ad and said shouldn’t it say love Jesus?
1. Jesus left heaven and became human to show us what God is like and to open up the way for us to know God now and forever. Jesus promises to be with us always, so we know that we are never alone.
2. Jesus blesses us even when we are naughty. ‘While we were still sinners, Christ died for us’ (Romans 5.8), that while we were naughty (to use Santa’s language) Jesus gave his life to open up that way for us to know God.
3. Jesus tells the truth and we know where we stand with him.
4. Jesus doesn’t always give us what we want either and to be honest I am glad. There are times in life when we desperately want things and then sometimes later on we can be glad that we didn’t get them. Jesus does bless us in ways we cannot imagine but ultimately he is our Lord who knows what is best for us.
5. Jesus lived on the earth 2000 years ago and his teaching and way of life was so revolutionary that it is still changing lives today.
Who or what do we love?